Piazza Armerina

Leaving Aidone we come to Piazza Armerina, about 10 km, reachable from the SS 288. Along the way, you’ll find yourself surrounded by the lush vegetation of the Reserve Rossomanno. Continuing along the SP 12, towards Lake Olivo, at km 15, you can see the remains of the Olivo mill that testify to its original grandeur. You can see the delivery channel waters, supported by a round arch, which once powered two millstones.
Later, Lake Olivo, a magnificent artificial dam, surrounded by beautiful scenery: on the banks, you can see the remains of the Olmo mill.

An ideal place for trekking and hiking.

  • RIC_3555mulino dell'olivo
  • RIC_3566mulino dell'olivo2
  • RIC_3583mulino olivo. canalizzazione
  • RIC_3598mulino olivo3
  • RIC_3615lago dell'olivo
  • RIC_3670lago olivo2
  • RIC_3698area boschiva attorno lago

Returning to the 117B towards Piazza Armerina, we come into the country, medieval par excellence, specifically in the area of the Grand Priory of St. Andrew, where stands the church of the same name, the most ancient of the village, dates from the year 1100. At the priory were delivered earnings of the mills of the district, including the St. Andrew mill, a few meters away, reachable by directing pathway.
The mill remain: the local service, now used for habitation and, behind, the system of sewage supported by round arches. The owners retain an ancient and rudimentary millstone for grinding grain by hand, found in the mill.

StAndrew mill was subject of upgrading of the district, drawing even more benefit from the presence of the royal pathway included among the ways that led pilgrims to the Holy Land, with a resting place just at the nearby Grand Priory. The streets Francigene or franchigene were so named because the pilgrims came mainly from the Land of the Franks over the Alps by the Val di Susa.

  • RIC_3237gran priorato di sant'andrea
  • RIC_3295gran priorato2
  • RIC_3445mulino sant'andrea condutture acqua
  • RIC_3399 mulino sant'and macine in pietra
  • RIC_3317regia trazzera franchigena

Those wishing to go cycling or walking, can join the programs organized by

“Routes and holidays bicycle- Mtb Sicily”

Cell.: +393283611596 / +393389058890

To see

Finished the route of the water mills, in this charming city, also known as “the city of a hundred churches”, worth to visit the historic center of Norman construction, divided into districts: Castellina, Monte, Casalotto and Canali, starting from the Cathedral.

The bell tower, 40 meters high, in late Gothic-Catalan, dates from the fifteenth century and that of a previous church, which was erected in place of the current cathedral.
Following signposted tourist a few meters you can admire the Aragonese Castle of the XIV century, inCastello place, residence of the King of Sicily Martin I of Aragon. Of the three original levels only two remain. The castle was also the seat of the district prison.
Another interesting testimony is the Commenda.
It is a very old building full of history, dating the twelfth century, located in Piazza Umberto I. News concerning the past report that originally was a church dedicated to St. John the Baptist of Rhodes, donated to the Knights of the Hospital of Jerusalem, around 1150 with the commitment to build a complex to service hospice for pilgrims and Knights Crusaders. Around 1420 the building was turned into Commenda, so the knights administer the assets of the Order. With the unification of Italy the Commenda became state property.

Opposite the Commenda stands the imposing Church of Santo Stefano, built between 1500 and 1600.
Also to see the Church of San Giovanni Evangelista, which houses frescoes by Borremans.

A look at the picturesque church of Teatini, built in 1142 and rebuilt in 1600, located in Largo San Giovanni, showing parts of the first building.

In the Castellina district, stand: the Castellina tower and the city walls of the fourteenth century. Considering water is an element that accompanies us along the route, in the district Canali you can also see another important source of water, among many others, which still supplies the inhabitants, the Canali Fountain. It includes the trough and the public wash. The water comes from four channels at the mouths of four masks, carved in sandstone, and continues its course in a trough adjacent to the source, then, conveyed in public wash consisting of 18 stone basins with a pavilion roof, supported by wooden trusses. Eight square pillars act as a support. Experts date the construction from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century. The source is fed from the river Gela.

  • RIC_3789cattedrale
  • RIC_3795 (1)
  • RIC_3852 (1) (1)
  • RIC_3873
  • RIC_3830la piazza
  • RIC_3902castello aragonese
  • RIC_3905
  • RIC_3914
  • RIC_3922
  • RIC_3952
  • RIC_4060 commenda
  • RIC_4133commenda ingresso
  • RIC_4026
  • RIC_4015chiesa san giovanni
  • RIC_3974chiesa dei teatini
  • RIC_3984
  • RIC_3982
  • RIC_3985
  • RIC_3988

Finally, you must have a visit to the famous Villa del Casale plant late Roman, built around the third or fourth century AC, a few kilometers from Piazza Armerina, in the Casale.

Historical notes

The territory has been inhabited since prehistoric times, as the rest of Sicily. Famous for the Villa Romana del Casale, which testifies to the domination of the Roman Empire, the old town, born on the hill of Mira, and of great value, with its monuments, is Norman style.

The urban has a particular conformation to “fishbone” that to date, is one of the oldest exemplary models of urban conformation in Europe.
The city is divided into four districts: Castellina, Monte, Casalotto and Canali.

Under King of Sicily Frederick II, the city acquired considerable importance, as established, in 1234 the headquarters of the National Court, a court to receive the complaints of Sicilian citizens abolished later during the Angevin rule.
In the fourteenth century the whole Sicily, and, therefore, also Piazza Armerina, rebelled against the Angevins with the famous revolt of the Sicilian Vespers, driving them permanently, because the Anjou applied a punitive taxes, practicing usurpations, oppression and violence on the people of Sicily.

  • RIC_3740
  • RIC_3855



contrada Ciavarini – Piazza Armerina
tel. +39 0935 686034
GPS 37.339984 N, 14.387648,13 E


Contrada Elsa – Piazza Armerina
tel. (+39) 3277134065
GPS 37.793117 N, 14.393068 E


Contrada Bannata – SS 117 bis km 41 – Piazza Armerina
GPS: 37.434207 N, 14.372354 E
Mob. +39 328 2988448 Mob. +39 329 6274918


Contrada Leano – Piazza Armerina
+39 0935 18 65 588 – +39 339 5713855 – +39 340 3365726

GPS 37° 22′ 27.85″ N, 14° 24′ 42.40″ E


Contrada Vallegrande – Piazza Armerina
tel +39 0935684119
GPS 37°25’ 248” N, 14°20’ 330” E


Contrada Camemi – Piazza Armerina
Tel. (+39) 0935  680730 – Cell. (+39)  338 6390406 – Cell. (+39) 3283087245
GPS 37.317206 N 14.366856,215 E


contrada Grottacalda n.1
Tel. +39 0935 958533
GPS 37.38555 N, 14.37574,17 E


Contrada Polleri
(+39) 0935 683078
GPS 37°21’52.2″N 14°23’40.0″E

Food and drink

Trattoria Da Gianna

Commenda dei Cavalieri di Malta
Tel. +39 347 3064581

Trattoria Panineria Al Goloso

Via Garao, 4 – Piazza Garibaldi
tel- 0935685693

Getting there

Fontanarossa of Catania, Via A19 motorway exit Mulinello, towards Valguarnera – Piazza Armerina –
Punta Raisi of Palermo, Via A19, exit Enna, towards Pergusa – Piazza Armerina.
By bus, company SAIS: Terminal Palermo Piazza Cairoli, (Piazzale Stazione FS)
Terminal Piazza Armerina (EN): Piazza Marescalchi – Stop SAIS AUTOLINEE

Festivals and fairs

Fair in May.

It takes place at the area of the former SIACE in Bellia district, in conjunction with the Fair Square, one of the oldest fairs livestock of Sicily.

Norman Palio.

Important festival that takes place August 14, while 15 evening we celebrate the solemn procession through the streets of the country with the sacred icon of the Madonna. The Palio is a historical re-enactment, the oldest of Sicily, inspired by the holy war of liberation that the Normans of Count Roger de Hauteville since 1061 fought against the infidel Arabs who occupied Sicily for about 150 years.

For more info see
For guided visit see Association guides Enna

Leave a Reply